Hotel Vila Babovic

per un piacevole soggiorno in Montenegro

call center +382 69 584 834

COSA VISITARE?

 

THE OLD TOWN OF BAR

 THE OLD TOWN OF BAR IS THE LARGEST URBAN AGGLOMERATION AMONG THE RUINS IN MONTENEGRO. THE OLD TOWN OF BAR WAS A HOST OF A TURBULENT HISTORY AND MEDIEVAL CIVILIZATIONS. IT IS LOCATED ABOUT 4 KM OUTSIDE TODAY’S BAR. IT IS LAYING ON A LARGE ROCK AND IS PROTECTED BY CLIFFS ON THREE SIDES AND BY RAMPARTS WALLS ALONG THE WEST SIDE. THE TOWN HOSTS REMAINS OF 240 BUILDINGS IN RUINS WITH NARROW WINDING STREETS AND IRREGULAR-SHAPE SQUARES. THE BUILDINGS WERE MADE OF HEWN STONE AND BUILT AS ONE OR MORE STOREY-BUILDINGS.

 

THE OLD OLIVE TREE AND OLIVE GROVES

 

THE OLD OLIVE TREE, A SYMBOL OF THE CITY OF BAR, IS THE OLDEST TREE IN EUROPE – IT HAS BEEN THERE FOR OVER 2,000 YEARS. IT GROWS IN THE PLACE MIROVICA ON THE FIFTH KILOMETRE FROM THE CITY OF BAR TO ULCINJ. THIS NATURAL MONUMENT IS OLDER THAN ANY WRITTEN MONUMENT ABOUT THE CITY OF BAR AND ITS INHABITANTS. THE OLD OLIVE TREE IN MIROVICA IS A NATURAL MONUMENT PROTECTED BY THE LAW IN 1963. IT IS OVER 2,000 YEARS OLD AND IS CONSIDERED TO BE THE OLDEST TREE IN EUROPE. ITS CIRCUMFERENCE IS 10 M. THE LEGEND SAYS THAT FEUDING FAMILIES WOULD COME TO THE OLD OLIVE TREE AND THIS IS WHERE THEY WOULD MAKE PEACE.

 

CASTLE OF KING NIKOLA

 

IN FRONT OF THE CASTLE A WOODEN FLOODGATE WAS BUILT WHICH WAS USED FOR DOCKING SHIPS AND YACHTS. IN THE PERIOD FROM 1866 TO 1916 KING NIKOLA OWNED TEN YACHTS. KING NIKOLA BOUGHT A FAMOUS YACHT 'SIBIL' FROM THE NOVELIST JULES VERNE, AND HIS LAST YACHT 'RUMIJA' WAS SUNK BY AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN NAVY IN 1915.

 

MONASTERY RIBNJAK

 

MONASTERY POND IN THE VILLAGE OF TEETH. AT THE SITE OF THE PRESENT MONASTERY POND THERE ARE REMNANTS OF THE CHURCH WHICH, ACCORDING TO LEGEND, FOUNDED BY JELENA NEMANJIC ANJOU.
THE MONASTERY CONSISTS OF THE CHURCH DEDICATED TO ST. BASIL OF OSTROG, FONT AND LODGING.
THE UPPER CHURCH ABOVE THE MONASTERY POND, ON THE HILL GRADAC, DEDICATED TO THE HOLY CROSS WAS ERECTED AFTER THE LIBERATION OF 1877-78. IT IS SAID THAT KING NIKOLA CAME HERE TO MONITOR OPERATIONS FOR LIBERATION. THE CHURCH, LOCATED ON THE HILL WAS BUILT BY TWO SIRDARS AND A SENATOR OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONTENEGRO IN LATE NINETEENTH AND EARLY TWENTIETH CENTURY AS A LEGACY OF THE LIBERATION WARS. THE LONG TRADITION OF GOING TO RIBNJAK ON ST. PATRICK'S DAY. BASIL OF OSTROG ON MAY 12TH, IS VERY INTERESTING FOR MANY TOURISTS.

 

LAKE SKADAR

 

LIKE ALL OF MONTENEGRO, LAKE SKADAR FASCINATES WITH THE DIVERSITY IT OFFERS.

THERE IS SO MUCH TO SEE. THE BEAUTY OF THE LARGE PEACEFUL SURFACE OF THE LAKE WITH ITS DOUBLE FRINGE OF CLIFFS AND HILLS AND THEIR SILHOUETTES, MULTIPLIED BY THE BEAUTY OF THE ISLANDS, LITTLE BAYS AND LIVELY SETTLEMENTS... THE ABUNDANCE OF PLANTS AND BIRDS. THE HISTORY OF THE LAKE ITSELF IS EQUALLY TURBULENT AS THE HISTORY AROUND IT. THE RIVER DRIM IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ITS PRESENT-DAY SIZE. IT USED TO BE A LARGER POOL IN THE ZETA-SKADAR PLAIN, THE GRANARY OF THE NEMANJIĆS, CRNOJEVIĆS AND BALŠIĆS. IN 1858 THERE WAS SUCH A FIERCE THUNDERSTORM THAT THE RIVER DRIM WENT MAD: IT ROLLED SO MUCH MATERIAL FROM THE ALBANIAN MOUNTAINS AND PILED IT UP AT THE ESTUARY OF THE RIVER BOJANA, SO THAT ITS COURSE SHIFTED.

WITH THE AREA RANGING FROM 370 TO 530 SQUARE KILOMETERS, DEPENDING ON THE WATER LEVEL, SKADAR LAKE IS THE BIGGEST LAKE IN THE BALKANS. DUE TO ITS GEOGRAPHIC POSITION AND SUB MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE, IT IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT HABITATS OF SWAMP BIRDS IN EUROPE, RIGHT AFTER THE RIVER DANUBE DELTA. THERE ARE AROUND 280 BIRD SPECIES ON THE LAKE, INCLUDING THE RARE CURLY PELICAN, WHICH BECAME A TRADEMARK OF THE NATIONAL PARK.

 

VIRPAZAR

 

VIRPAZAR SETTLEMENT BUILT AT THE CONFLUENCE OF THE RIVERS AND CRMNICA ORAHOVSTICA. IT WAS FIRST MENTIONED IN 1242. IN THE CHARTER OF KING VLADISLAV.
IT WAS AN IMPORTANT TRADING CENTER. FROM 1888. IS CONNECTED VIA A CART WITH BAR, AND SINCE 1908. AND THE NARROW-GAUGE RAILWAY.
VIRPAZAR WAS ONE OF THE FIRST POSTAL STATION IN MONTENEGRO. AT THAT TIME, IT HAD OVER 20 TRADE AND CRAFT STORES.
HIGH ABOVE VIRPAZAR THERE ARE THE REMAINS OF THE FORTRESS BESAC, BUILT BY THE TURKS.
IN ITS VICINITY IS THE PLACE MIELE, WHERE EXCAVATIONS REVEAL A LARGE PREHISTORIC NECROPOLIS WITH TOMBS COVERED WITH LARGE STONE SLABS.
TODAY VIRPAZAR IS KNOWN RESORT AND TRANSIT STATION FOR THE CRUISE OVER SKADAR LAKE.

 

 


GALLERY