WHAT TO SEE ?
THE OLD TOWN OF BAR
The Old town of Bar is the largest urban agglomeration among the ruins in Montenegro. The Old town of Bar was a host of a turbulent history and medieval civilizations. It is located about 4 km outside today’s Bar. It is laying on a large rock and is protected by cliffs on three sides and by ramparts walls along the west side. The town hosts remains of 240 buildings in ruins with narrow winding streets and irregular-shape squares. The buildings were made of hewn stone and built as one or more storey-buildings.
THE OLD OLIVE TREE AND OLIVE GROVES
The Old olive tree, a symbol of the city of Bar, is the oldest tree in Europe – it has been there for over 2,000 years. It grows in the place mirovica on the fifth kilometre from the city of Bar to Ulcinj. This natural monument is older than any written monument about the city of Bar and its inhabitants. The Old olive tree in Mirovica is a natural monument protected by the law in 1963. It is over 2,000 years old and is considered to be the oldest tree in Europe. It is circumference is 10 m. The legend says that feuding families would come to the old olive tree and this is where they would make peace.
CASTLE OF KING NIKOLA
In front of the castle a wooden floodgate was built which was used for docking ships and yachts. In the period from 1866 to 1916 king Nikola owned ten yachts. King Nikola bought a famous yacht 'Sibil' from the novelist Jules Verne, and his last yacht 'Rumija' was sunk by Austro-hungarian navy in 1915.
Monastery pond in the village Zupci. At the site of the present monastery pond there are remnants of the church which, according to legend, founded by Jelena Nemanjic Anjou.
The monastery consists of the church dedicated to St. basil of Ostrog, font and lodging.
The upper church above the monastery pond, on the hill Gradac, dedicated to the Holy cross was erected after the liberation of 1877-78. It is said that king Nikola came here to monitor operations for liberation. The church, located on the hill was built by two sirdars and a senator of the principality of Montenegro in late nineteenth and early twentieth century as a legacy of the liberation wars.
The long tradition of going to Ribnjak on St. Patrick's day. Basil of Ostrog on may 12th, is very interesting for many tourists.
The biggest on the Balkan Peninsula. Located on the southeast of Montenegro, in the valley from the sea by Mount Rumija.The lake is 50 km long and 14 km wide. Its surface is not always the same.In the spring and fall when the water level rises about 500 km2, while in summer at the low water area of about 350 km2. The lake is the border with Albania. Montenegro is entitled to 63.2%. The coast is indented with numerous coves and picturesque fishing villages. On the lake there is a large number of islands popularly called Gorica. Not far from Virpazar, towards Krajina, there are a large number of bays with sandy beaches such as the famous beach Murići 560 m long.
Virpazar settlement built at the confluence of the rivers Crmnica and Orahovstica. It was first mentioned in 1242. in the charter of king Vladislav.
It was an important trading center. From 1888. is connected via a cart with Bar, and since 1908. and the narrow-gauge railway.
Virpazar was one of the first postal station in Montenegro. At that time, it had over 20 trade and craft stores.
High above Virpazar there are the remains of the fortress Besac, built by the Turks.
In its vicinity is the place Miele, where excavations reveal a large prehistoric necropolis with tombs covered with large stone slabs.
Today Virpazar is known resort and transit station for the cruise over Skadar lake.